lundi, octobre 29, 2007

Doing the College Thing

Ah.....yes, good ole college. You know, where you study more, sleep less, and hope you remembered everything you were supposed to for that exam. Nothing quite like it, I must say. So far it hasn't been that bad. This past history exam, I studied so much I felt like I was going to overflow with all this information and was almost dying to take the test just to unload my overflowing brain! Now as soon as I've almost recovered from the last exam, I now have to rev up for another one next week. Isn't college wonderful!
Well, let's see. I don't have that many funny stories to tell about college life so far. I guess one funny thing is how my roommate has found out just how deep I can sleep. She often has to stay up late working on art projects while I try to at least have a short visit in Lala Land and on a few occasions she has dropped things that made a loud crash. According to her, I didn't even wake up or stir. I guess the only rather annoying thing pertaining to this is that I have on occasion caught myself talking in French in my sleep which of course cannot be a good habit. Course, maybe it isn't so bad since no one would know what I was saying anyway unless they knew French. ;)
I guess the main thing about college that bothers me so far is just the complete absence of morality and decency. I remain shocked at the profanity I hear and see all around me. I've been told that I will become adjusted to it, but do I really want to become adjusted to it? Shouldn't I be shocked at the worldliness around me? Some may say I was overprotected as a child, but I personally think that I was well-protected. What I find extremely shocking and even perturbing happened one day in my history discussion class at the beginning of the semster. We were doing a group activity examining one of our assigned readings that we would afterwards present to the class. Being a homeschooler, I still don't quite get the concept of group activities, but I'm learning. I was sitting there writing notes on the different ideas that the people in our group were voicing on what our particular reading entailed when one of the girls looked at me and said why you *beep* *beep*, what are you doing? I, of course, was shocked and just stared at her trying to collect the thoughts that had just been blasted out of my mind by her profane statement. She then said she was just teasing and wanted to know what I was writing. What kind of teasing is that? Really, I see that as insulting! I probably should have told her as much, but I was too shocked to say much. What kind of society teaches kids to "tease" that way?
Oh, well, I shall go for now. Lala Land sounds better every minute. Besides Chou Chou *pronounced shoo shoo* (means cabbage, cabbage in French), my little pink bear is probably getting impatient for a good sleep. Course, what else does the little guy do, but sleep all day, but that's beside the point!
God bless everyone and have a good week!

3 commentaires:

Elizabeth a dit…

Stacey, tell me this, why do people feel the need to name things chou chou, although it sounds reasonably cute in french, cabbage cabbage is not cute in English. I had a french teacher once who named her dog that - it befuddles me.

Anyway you're right. What comes out the mouth reflects the heart. Plus, to me, it always seems to draw poignant attention to one's lack of intelligence when curse words are the only ones they can come up with.

HandmaidenforHim a dit…

Well, I guess it's sort of similar to when we call someone honeybunn over here in America. It's just the French equivalent. They also call their boyfriend/girlfriend
"mon petit(e) lapin" which means "my little rabbit" strange as that sounds. ;)

Anonyme a dit…

Ca c'est bizarre, n'est-ce pas?