samedi, septembre 22, 2007

I Will Survive!

http://

Yes, I am surviving here at college! Hopefully, I'll fare better than the poor alien. Course, I often laugh that instead of a disco ball falling on me it would probably be a filing cabinet since I nearly had one fall on me at work the other day. Yes, 'tis true. I was just having one of those days and well, gravity decided to demonstrate that yes, it still does work. The accountant whose office I was working in at the time, caught it thankfully.
I have successfully with the Lord's help survived five weeks being on a university campus! The first four weeks were very rough. I was extremely homesick and really struggling with a lot of stress. I've never experienced anything quite like college and it really threw me for a curve. I am finally getting to where I can eat normally now. When I become stressed I can't eat, so I've joked that I'll probably lose my freshman 15 rather than gain it. I am getting my appetite back though and I think as each week goes by that it will get better.
I'm enjoying many of my classes. My French professor is rather interesting. She's from Africa and is a native speaker of French. She can be a little hard to understand sometimes with her strong accents. She was very excited when she found out that I am a French major.
I do have a history professor who enjoys making predestination and Calvinism look pretty ridiculous. I can't help but pity the man. He is interesting to listen to though when he's not dicussing his views on Calvinism and topics related to it. He often goes on rabbit trails and draws "maps" on the board that look like some sort of weird animals or scribbles. The class I take with him has about 450 other people in it. It was a little intimidating at first, but I'm pretty used to it now.
Probably my favorite class is University Choir. I'm really enjoying that! It's kind of my stress reliever. It is a bit of challenge trying to read the normal notes being so used to shape notes. I usually just have to figure out what my part is by listening to those around me. So far, it's going okay. I'm looking forward to our concert in November with much excitement.
My roommate and I have entered our room into the best dressed room contest! We are really hoping we win because the winning room receives a grand prize of $200! Being poor college students, our mouths water at such a grand sum! :) Yes, I know you'd like to see pictures of the room, but truthfully I haven't gotten around to taking pictures of it! I'll try to sometime soon when I can find the time and our room looks presentable. ;)
Being a college student I have finally truly realized the significance and importance of FREE FOOD! I love free food! It's one of the best things you can get as a poor college student whose fridge is no longer working. Yes, little Mr. Haier decided to give out on me about three weeks into classes. He ruined my yogurt and his only use at the moment is to hold our magnets. I'm hoping to replace him as soon as is feasible!
Ah well, I guess I'll go for now. I'll try to post when I can, but you'll have to forgive the very possible time lapses between posts. The Lord bless you all!

5 commentaires:

Mimigrace08 a dit…

In one of my classes last year we had several debates on Calvinism. Thankfully the teacher was one my side, but i was one of the only students who spoke up for Calvinism. I am glad i had that expierence in high school, because it really forced me to study the doctrine for myself.

Love you!

~Emily

Anonyme a dit…

Ah, it was nice to see the alien song again. HEEHEEHEE! I'm glad you're getting used to it. Beware of disco balls and filing cabinets!

Anonyme a dit…

A French major, eh? I took two French classes...I don't think I'm cut out for a foreign language, though. ;-) Best of luck to you in that. Which college are you at?

Mimigrace08 a dit…

Caroline got your letter yesterday. I could tell she was very excited about it. I think she wants to write you back. Can you email me your address? My email is the same as my username @gmail.com

HandmaidenforHim a dit…

Sure, I'll send you my email address in just a little bit.
In addressing the question asked by Ryan, I'm at a certain university not too far from home. They like red and black and making guns out of their hands.