As I sit here taking my vitamins as is my evening ritual before going to bed (I have to try to stay in as an exceptional state of health as possible seeing that on a college campus one can never tell what he might pick up), I can't help but wonder at a rather strange contradiction I've witnessed here at college or is it a misunderstanding? I'm not sure which.
Any of you who know me well enough know that I do not believe in celebrating Christmas. I'm not going to get into that in this particular blog post basically because that wasn't the entire substance of what I'm pondering at the moment. Okay, I am in a choir here at college and as a result, I've recently sung some Christmas carols as they are called (Yes, it a little ironic singing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" when I don't even celebrate the holiday). What I find strange is that we were allowed to sing such hymns as "Hark, the Herald Angel Sings" and "O Come All Ye Faithful" when just saying the words to a lot of such hymns at a public high school graduation could get one sued since it mentions Jesus Christ and Him being King.
Here on a college campus, it seems there is a constant push to try to make Christianity conform to all the other religions out there or to be more tolerant. When preparing to write my last English paper, in the list of forbidden topics, I was interested to notice that all references to God or the Bible were strictly forbidden. Why then is it all right for our choir to sing these beautiful hymns giving glory to God in front of thousands of people at a ceremony to light a bunch of Christmas lights on campus, but it's not acceptible to mention Him in an English paper?
lundi, décembre 03, 2007
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)

2 commentaires:
Ahh. This is because Christianity in Christmas is an acceptable social standard (it's king of like claiming that the majority of America is Christian anyway and the holiday is based around the birth of Christ, so it's okay) But when it comes to real Christianity, of course that's a no no, because it's a sensitive issue - the American is Christian thing goes out the window and everyone hides behind the facade of not wanting to stir controversy.
It is a fallacy.
Incredibly strange...
Enregistrer un commentaire