
Can you guess? Oui! C'est Paris! I have begun the process to study abroad in France next spring semester. However, I only want to do it if it is the Lord's will, so I am praying every step of the way for Him to show me the way He wants me to go. Thus, let me rephrase that. I hope to, Lord willing, study abroad in France next spring. ;)
It's actually rather exciting to think about really! I mean, if it all does work out it will be like a dream come true! I hope that studying abroad will help me become fluent in French. I'm at the moment debating on whether to go to Paris or Grenoble. Please keep me in prayer as I make
these decisions.
I often get the question as to what in the world I will do with a French major. I even had one person kid that it was a useless major. I guess the main reason that it's my major is that I love French. I also feel that this is the field that the Lord wants me to be in. He has given me a fascination for languages and a desire to learn new languages. I am eager to see how he will use this desire and talent He has given me. At the moment I am thinking of becoming an interpreter for the government. Course, a person at French club told me that if you are fluent in another language like French, you can enter almost any industry because they need people who know foriegn languages. Knowing another language does definitly open doors.
The main worry I do have with French, however, is the French culture. What is so sad about Europe is that they have pretty much turned their back on God. Their culture does not have the Christian background that ours does and all they seem to think about is sensual and carnal to put it vaguely. This I have picked up just by watching a few French movies and from talking to some exchange students. I often get the feeling that although they do fulfill the desires and lusts of the flesh, there seems to be an emptiness and despair there as if they really don't understand the true meaning of life or why they are here. No one has actually told me that this is how they feel, I have just sensed it by what I have seen and heard. France needs the Lord to put it plainly. Maybe one day there will be an interest there in the doctrines of grace. If there ever is and if by that time I am fluent in French, I will willingly offer my services to help in any way I can.
May the Lord bless each of you with a wonderful week!

3 commentaires:
Wow, a semester in Paris (or Grenoble) that's pretty cool. I commend you on your boldness.
The only thing would be having to go a whole semester without any real church worship. Maybe there are some good churches in the country side, but I'm sure Paris isn't the place to find them, unless you consider fancy Catholic cathedrals on an equal plane - I can't say that I do. But if you do get to go, it would be really neat to beef up your vocabulary around the spiritual matters - I mean, it would be difficult to have a conversation about the Lord soley in French, but you could do it.
I'll be praying for you as you work through this process.
Yeah, that's one thing I'd worried about. I think probably what I could do to be able to still here PB preaching would be to listen to sermons online. When I was taking French in high school, as part of a grade we used to have to memorize Bible verses in French. I think I might try to memorize more before I go.
Yes, and long distance from Paris to where we live won't exactly be cheap! :-D Oh well, there's always email!
Enregistrer un commentaire